Friday, November 29, 2013

Black Friday: Spend Your Holidays with a Muir Book!

Well, it's Black Friday again and that means that -- once more -- it is time for the hard sell.

So anyway...while you are thinking about spending money for the holidays today, how about spending time with one of my recent books?  They are the perfect gifts for horror and science fiction movie fans!

And when you buy one of my books -- as I've written before -- you are actively helping to support this blog, and its on-going life.

I derive my income (at least at present) from my books in print, so anything you can do to help support the cause is very much appreciated.

Here are two titles for your consideration:

Horror Films FAQ
"Muir, proverbial flashlight in hand, leads readers through the kaleidoscopic darkness of horror’s roughly century-long existence with clear-sighted and analytic commentary in “Horror Films FAQ.”...This new book is neither a behind-the-scenes tell-all nor an exhaustive encyclopedia; rather, the book delineates the nature, symbols and themes of various horror sub-genres, characters, and formulas -- some vanish as the sun sets on a generation, others are as perennial as Freddy Krueger...newcomers and aficionados alike will find something intriguing in Muir’s studied and insightful volume." - Michael Walsh, The New York Daily News.

"I was immediately sold on this book by Chris Carter's introduction....What follows that introduction is 370 or pages of discussion of 28 different sub-genres of the horror film...This is a great book for browsing, and it will remind you of a lot of movies you've seen, a lot you haven't and quite a few you might want to take a look at.  Belongs on every horror movie fan's bookshelf." - Bill Crider's Pop Culture Blog,

"You don’t need to be a film scholar or even a horror film buff to enjoy the essays in Horror  Films FAQ. Written in a thoughtful but accessible manner, they cite the political, psychological, and social messages behind the films. Horror Films FAQ is the thinking person’s guide to horror films. It is illustrated with black and white photos and film stills, and includes a foreword by X-Files producer Chris Carter." - Jade Blackmore, Cinema Sentries.

"Muir is obviously a huge horror fan and it shows. You can always tell when somebody's heart is in something, and this book is written with a lot of heart and plenty of research.  HORROR FILMS FAQ is listed by the published as "All that's left to know about slashers, vampires, zombies, aliens and more," and it couldn't have been said better...John Kenneth Muir knocked it out of the park. Rating: 10/10." Geno McGahee, Scared Stiff Reviews.

"With its brief chapters and easy style, Horror Films FAQ is an accessible book designed to get readers thinking about film.  Whether it piques your interest in a specific sub genre, inspires you to watch something new, or causes you to look at an old favorite in a different way, Muir's book succeeds in legitimizing horror as a topic of conversation." - Movie Pie.

"Muir gives the reader plenty enough to think about.  The movies that he covers that we heaven't seen, we now want to seek them out.  And even the movies that he covers that we've seen, for some reason, we start to want to go back and revisit the film again. Well done, Mr. Muir." - Kitley's Krypt

and...

Science Fiction and Fantasy Films of the 1970s
(Available on Kindle today for just 99 cents!)

"One of the best writers analyzing contemporary genre film and television is John Kenneth Muir. His new volumes adds to an impressive body of work with Science Fiction and Fantasy Films of the 1970s...highly recommended." - John W. Morehead, Theofantastique. 


9 comments:

  1. Any chance of Horror Films FAQ coming out on Kindle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Duanne! I know that it will come out on Kindle eventually, but I don't have a firm date yet, alas! I will post it here on the blog when I know more. Thank you for asking!

      Delete
  2. The good news is that I have a copy of your new book FAQ in my house. The bad news is that it is a Xmas present from my fiance to me and I cannot read it yet. I look forward to the read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trent,

      Thank you for supporting the book, and I hope it will help to make your Christmas morning bright (or horrific...)

      Delete
  3. Woohoo! Just got best SF&F of the 70s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, David, for supporting the book. I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  4. I've got your '70s Sci-Fi book. I will ask my wife for the Horror FAQ book as an early X-Mas gift. If not, I'll buy it for myself anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whitsbrain: I appreciate so much you purchasing the books and supporting my work. It means a lot to me. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. I received your Horror Films FAQ book as a Christmas gift. Fun reading ahead!

      Delete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...