Thursday, November 14, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Science Fiction Films of the 1970s: Sean McCormack


Friend and reader Sean McCormack, presents his list of the top ten greatest science fiction films of the 1970s.

Sean writes:
1) Star Wars

2) ALIEN
3) A Clockwork Orange

4) Close Encounters of the Third Kind

5) Mad Max

6) Westworld

7) Invasion of the Body Snatchers

8)Conquest of the Planet of the Apes

9)Infra Man

10)Godzilla vs Megalon (yeah I said it)
I would have loved to include Superman the Movie and The Warriors but somehow I just can't get my mind to accept those as Sci Fi.”

Sean: I love your list, especially the fact that Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972) makes the cut.  That is my favorite of all the Apes sequels, and a kick-ass, uncompromising movie, with a real -- and radical -- subtext. 

In terms of 1970s Godzilla fare, I still prefer Godzilla vs. Hedorah to Godzilla vs. Megalon, though my son would choose Megalon every time!  I love the environmental subtext of Godzilla vs Hedorah, and found Godzilla vs. Megalon too focused on Jet Jaguar, for my tastes.  One of these days, I’m going to do a reader top ten list on the top ten best Godzilla movies, or the top ten best (giant) monster movies…

2 comments:

  1. Ha. Though I couldn't say it, I really enjoyed Godzilla Vs. Megalon. Great choice and Jet Jaguar-sized balls (if he had them). My father took me to it when I was a child and I have such great memories of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A kaiju Top 10 would be fun John. Go for it down the road.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...