Thursday, December 12, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Toys of Childhood: Woodchuckgod


Regular reader and good friend Woodchuckgod, presents a wonderful list of greatest toys from his childhood.

Woodchuckgod writes:

"What a fun and appropriate list for the holidays.  Let's see....



10. Dominoes: I had a long fascination with domino chain reactions, being as elaborate as I could manage. I occasionally actually played the game – but I include them because they were far more a building toy for me.



09. Multiway Rollway: A marble track, build-your-own type of thing. This was fun, seeing the configurations you could make work. It was also made a dandy low-tech do-it-yourself pinball machine in a pinch.



08. Cardboard Bricks were perfect for large-scale buildings, barricading doorways, for being completely obliterated by a speeding Tron Lightcycle.




07. Lincoln Logs.



06. Legos


05. Fantom 4: Easily the coolest thing I ever had in my younger childhood, toy-wise. A little fan would make this flying saucer hover over the floor, nearly soundlessly. Launch it from its charging dock, and it would go quite a good clip, especially on a hardwood floor.



04. Transformers: The original runs. I had a ton of ‘em. Even my little brother’s amputation of Megatron’s arm wouldn’t stop his schemes.



03. Atari 2600 VCS System: I’m a gamer from way back. This is the thing that brought it into the home and cemented my fascination with the video game.



02. American Bricks: There were at my grandmother’s house but I’d spend hours with them every time I was there. The wooden pieces were easy to hold and manipulate, the slanted roof pieces were a treat, and the nub/hold lego-like construction (even without locking tight) made a lot of neat building tricks possible. I was particularly fond of trying to make the largest pyramid I could without it falling in on itself mid-construction.




01. Tron Lightcycle: This still has to get the #1 spot, hands down. I think every action figure I ever owned rode in this at one point or another, and just about everything I ever built with the aforementioned cardboard bricks was brought low by this speeding missile of destructive doom. Such fun."

Woodchuckgod: I love your list because it reflects the fun of blocks, and how much fun it is to imagine and then construct something new.  I loved playing blocks as a kid. I was always building Captain Nemo's Nautilus, or Moonbase Alpha (where my Mattel Eagle One could dock).  

Also, I believe your list is also the first to mention the Atari 2600 VCS System, one of the most wonderful toys of my childhood, as well.  I remember so vividly the Christmas I received it, and this whole new world of games opening up.  I remember playing Space Invaders, Combat and Missile Command that Christmas Morning, and not wanting to stop...ever.

Finally, I must now own that Fantom 4 hover-craft.  That toy looks amazing...

Great list!

1 comment:

  1. Dominos! Did ANYONE use them for anything but setting up chain reactions? When I was a kid we all vaguely knew there was some way to play a game with them but no one seemed to know the actual rules.

    ReplyDelete

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...